Find all the latest information about the Ebola outbreak in the Equateur Province and the response of the Government, UNICEF and their partners to control the outbreak.
One of three suspected cases in Wangata Health Zone in Mbandaka, the capital of Equator Province with a population of more than 1 million inhabitants was confirmed by PCR.
Since 3 May 2018, 44 suspected cases of viral hemorrhagic fever have been reported, including 23 deaths (probable cases) in three out of the four health zones under investigation in Equateur Province (Bikoro, Iboko, Wangata and Ntondo).
A high-level field mission led by the Minister of Health with the Representatives of WHO and UNICEF travelled to Mbandaka and Bikoro on Saturday 12 May to assess the level of response in the field. A follow up mission involving the WHO Director-General followed on Sunday 13 May.
On 13 May 2018, the Ministry of Health signed an agreement on the use of the Ebola vaccine and issued approval for the importation of vaccines. UNICEF is involved in the planning and communication aspect of the vaccination.
The initial UNICEF response costed at USD 3.96 million has been used to inform resource mobilization, but the plan is subject to a review based on the confirmed case in Mbandaka, and is expected to be significantly scaled up.
- 44 suspected cases reported
- 3 confirmed cases by RT-PCR (MoH, 16 May 2018)
- 23 deaths were recorded with epidemiological link (MoH, 16 May 2018)
- 527 contact have been identified and under surveillance (MoH, 16 May 2018)
>> Full report
Yves Willemot est le chef de l’Équipe InfoCom de l’UNICEF RDC. Plus que tout, ce qui est important pour lui c'est d'être "tous ensemble pour les enfants".
Yves Willemot is Head of the UNICEF DRC InfoCom Team. More than anything, he believes that the most important is to "be together for the children".
Latest posts by Yves Willemot (see all)
- Children must be at heart of response to Ebola outbreak - 25 May 2018
- Ms Gufran Al-Nadaf, Swedish Ambassador for Children and Armed Conflict gets into a dialogue with children during her visit in the DRC - 24 May 2018
- UNICEF mobilizing hundreds of community workers to fight Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo - 18 May 2018
- Ebola in the Equateur Province: the situation as of 16 May 2018 - 16 May 2018
- Ebola epidemic in the Equateur province: the Minister of Public Health visits affected zones, accompanied by the Representatives of WHO and UNICEF - 14 May 2018