HUMANITARIAN SITUATION – Latest updates about the humanitarian situation in the Kasai region. Find the humanitarian highlights and the latest key figures and actions taken by UNICEF and its partners.
Highlights of humanitarian situation in the Kasai
- On August 1, 2017, the UNICEF Executive Director activated the Level 3 Corporate Emergency Response for the Kasai region of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) for a period of 6 months.
- On August 1, 2017 the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights released a report* confirming that serious human rights violations and abuses were perpetrated in the Kasais by different parties to the conflict against 282 victims, including 113 women and 68 children, in different villages of Kamonia Territory, Kasai Province.
- 12 August, 2017: The occasion of the one-year anniversary of the death of the leader of Kamuina Nsapu (KN), was used by the Commander of the Congolese Armed Forced (FARDC) to declare that 90 percent of the Grand Kasai region was under the FARDC control, although the security update (below) indicates the situation remain volatile.
The situation in numbers
- 2,440,000 people are in need humanitarian assistance (OCHA April 2017)
- 1,185,600 children are in need of humanitarian assistance (OCHA April 2017)
- 404 schools have been damaged (Education working group Kasai, August 2017)
- 218 Health Centers have been attacked / destroyed since the beginning of the crisis in all Kasai Provinces (Department of Health, Kasai region, July 2017)
Yves Willemot est le chef de l’Équipe InfoCom de l’UNICEF RDC. Plus que tout, ce qui est important pour lui c'est d'être "tous ensemble pour les enfants".
Yves Willemot is Head of the UNICEF DRC InfoCom Team. More than anything, he believes that the most important is to "be together for the children".
Latest posts by Yves Willemot (see all)
- Children’s access to education under threat from ongoing violence in Kasai region - 14 September 2017
- Humanitarian Situation Report on the Kasai Crisis - 11 September 2017
- The primary school children enrolment campaign has now been launched ! - 18 August 2017
- Children, victims of the crisis in Kasai - 9 August 2017
- By failing to invest in breastfeeding, we are failing mothers and their babies - 2 August 2017