Find all the latest information about the Ebola outbreak in the Equateur Province and the response of the Government, UNICEF and their partners to control the outbreak.
One of three suspected cases in Wangata Health Zone in Mbandaka, the capital of Equator Province with a population of more than 1 million inhabitants was confirmed by PCR.
Since 3 May 2018, 44 suspected cases of viral hemorrhagic fever have been reported, including 23 deaths (probable cases) in three out of the four health zones under investigation in Equateur Province (Bikoro, Iboko, Wangata and Ntondo).
A high-level field mission led by the Minister of Health with the Representatives of WHO and UNICEF travelled to Mbandaka and Bikoro on Saturday 12 May to assess the level of response in the field. A follow up mission involving the WHO Director-General followed on Sunday 13 May.
On 13 May 2018, the Ministry of Health signed an agreement on the use of the Ebola vaccine and issued approval for the importation of vaccines. UNICEF is involved in the planning and communication aspect of the vaccination.
The initial UNICEF response costed at USD 3.96 million has been used to inform resource mobilization, but the plan is subject to a review based on the confirmed case in Mbandaka, and is expected to be significantly scaled up.
- 44 suspected cases reported
- 3 confirmed cases by RT-PCR (MoH, 16 May 2018)
- 23 deaths were recorded with epidemiological link (MoH, 16 May 2018)
- 527 contact have been identified and under surveillance (MoH, 16 May 2018)
>> Full report
Yves Willemot est le chef de l’Équipe InfoCom de l’UNICEF RDC. Plus que tout, ce qui est important pour lui c'est d'être "tous ensemble pour les enfants".
Yves Willemot is Head of the UNICEF DRC InfoCom Team. More than anything, he believes that the most important is to "be together for the children".
Latest posts by Yves Willemot (see all)
- Children particularly affected by the Ebola outbreak in the DRC - 17 August 2018
- Ebola in the North Kivu province: the situation as of 15 August 2018 - 17 August 2018
- Vaccination, a central strategy in the fight against Ebola in DRC - 16 August 2018
- La Suède alloue 12,2 millions de dollars américains à l’UNICEF pour la santé des enfants et des mères et pour la protection des enfants en République Démocratique du Congo - 15 August 2018
- Ebola outbreak in the DRC: UNICEF ships 90 tons of supplies to help contain spread of deadly disease - 14 August 2018