Find all the latest information about the Ebola outbreak in the North Kivu province and the response of the Government, UNICEF and their partners to control the outbreak.
The Minister of Health declared an outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) on August 1st 2018, following the confirmation of four cases of Ebola in the Mabalako health zone of the territory of Beni, North Kivu province, Eastern DRC.
As of August 3, 2018, a total of 49 cases have been reported across 7 health zones in two provinces, i.e. five health zones (Beni, Butembo, Oicha, Musienene and Mabalako) in North Kivu province; and two health zones (Mandima and Mambasa) in Ituri province.
The affected territory is affected by armed conflicts and facing security challenges.
This is the first-time Ebola outbreak reported in this part of the country and the 10th known outbreak in DRC.
August 2, 2018, a high-level mission comprised of the Minster of Health, the Governor of North Kivu, WHO Representative, UNICEF Deputy Representative, MONUSCO DSRSG, the Deputy Humanitarian Coordinators and a Representative of the World Bank visited Beni and Mangina (the epicenter of the outbreak) for field level assessment and to organize the response.
A UNICEF multi-disciplinary team comprised of two health specialists, two C4D specialists, two WASH specialists, a security specialist and a driver are already deployed in Beni as part of the first intervention team in support of the Government response team.
- 49 total reported suspected cases (MoH, 03 August 2018)
- 4 confirmed cases by GeneXpert (MoH, 01 August 2018)
- 28 deaths recorded (MoH, 03 August 2018)
>> Full report
Yves Willemot est le chef de l’Équipe InfoCom de l’UNICEF RDC. Plus que tout, ce qui est important pour lui c'est d'être "tous ensemble pour les enfants".
Yves Willemot is Head of the UNICEF DRC InfoCom Team. More than anything, he believes that the most important is to "be together for the children".
Latest posts by Yves Willemot (see all)
- Ebola outbreak in the DRC: UNICEF ships 90 tons of supplies to help contain spread of deadly disease - 14 August 2018
- Ebola outbreak in the DRC: UNICEF mobilizes communication specialists in support of the vaccination campaign - 10 August 2018
- Ebola in the North Kivu province: the situation as of 8 August 2018 - 10 August 2018
- Ebola in the North Kivu province : the situation as of 3 August 2018 - 7 August 2018
- New Ebola epidemic in the DRC: UNICEF mobilizes staff and supplies to help with the response - 3 August 2018